Monday, December 7, 2015

Comments for Jenny and Abby: Wizard of Oz

For your comments on Presentations:

First, write about something well done.  What did you learn from this group?  What part of the Presentation seemed the best?  Be specific.

Second, offer constructive criticism that would help this group. What might have been more clear?  What part of the Presentation seemed the least polished?  Be specific.

Post all comments for this group below this post, please, as we all need feedback, and it's valuable.


19 comments:

  1. 1 I thought your use of photos and the mention of symbolism from the sepia to technicolor were the strong part of your presentation. I knew a lot of what was presented, but I thought that the answers to the questions showed a awesome job of getting to know the material.
    2 I have very little to criticize. My only suggestion would be to make the video screen full screen if you are showing a movie/film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I thought you guys did a great job in explaining this movie and showing us why its iconic. You also both used eye contact well when giving your presentation.
    2. The only thing I would say you guys could improve on would be you could have moved around a little more, you both at times seemed to stand/hide behind the desk. Other than that, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I thought you guys did a good job with using the video to add to your presentation. Also mentioning the hanging really added to the presentation because that it something I never noticed in the movie until you mentioned it.
    2. The only thing I think you guys could of worked on was a stronger conclusion, You guys just kinda ended it with no real ending but other than that you guys did great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I think that your presentation went very well. I really liked the clip that demonstrated the change from sepia to technicolor. I also thought the part about the man that was hanging in the background was very interesting and something that I hadn't known about.
    2. I am going to have to agree with Amber. I feel that a stronger ending would have definitely pulled this presentation together, instead of just ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I thought you two did a great job on the presentation. I did not know how color played such a huge rule in the movie. I had heard about the scene where somebody had supposedly hung themselves but I had never heard who they thought might have done it.
    2. I think that stronger ending would have made the presentation a little more better. Other then that you both did very.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. You two handled it well while presenting, and you had my attention the entire time. I liked the color comparison, I never even thought about that before. I also didn't know that it was one of the first movies to use TechniColor.
    2. My one complaint was the video was not shown on full screen. I couldn't really see what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1.) I think that your analysis of the meaning of the movie was the strongest part of your presentation. I have always thought of The Wizard of Oz as a classic movie with a little bit of an adventure, but I have never thought of it as teaching a lesson.
    2.) The only thing I think may have benefitted your presentation is if your conclusion flowed as well as the rest of the presentation. In comparison to the rest, your conclusion didn't seem as well prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the topic you chose was very interesting, and I really enjoyed it. I liked the video clip you played and the comparison with sepia and dorthys boring life to oz with color and happiness and wonder.
    The only thing I was confused about is that I've heard so much about this movie, small things that represent something bigger. I would have liked to hear more of that, it definitely would have made it a stronger presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. You guys did a great job! The best part was your comparison about the movie on how each character was on a journey to fulfill something that was important to them.
    2. Like Rachel said, I too would have enjoyed to hear more about the subtle things that had symbolic meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) Your interpretation of the movie was very interesting. You also had a lot of information on how the movie greatly changed society and the movie world. I didn't realize the movie itself wasn't that popular until 1956.
    2) One thing that could be improved is the flow of the presentation. It felt like you got confused at which person was supposed to be talking, and that you didn't know which part of the presentation you were supposed to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1) I absolutely love The Wizard of Oz! I used to watch it every year while I was growing up. I had always known that the movie was so iconic, but never truly understood why, other than the fact that people thought it was just a good movie. Growing up in a world with colored TV all my life, I have to be reminded sometimes that there wasn't always color on screen and that the technicolor of the film was far beyond its time.
    2) I wish you would've had a slide about Judy Garland because I think it would've helped your argument of the movie being happy, but other than that, I really liked learning more about this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You guys had great slides, they were very simplistic without being distracting with too much information. I liked the chemistry you two had together as well.

    My main gripe with this presentation was the lack of a thesis. I was following what you were saying but it was hard to draw any sort of conclusion from the information you presented. For example, the slide with the picture of what might have been a dead munchkin seemed misplaced. I'm not sure where that fit in, as I don't think many people think of dead munchkins being the iconic part of the film. That's not to say it wasn't entertaining, because it was.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on this presentation, I had no idea that this was one of the first films to use technicolor! The clip you included showing us the transition from black and white to color was a great visual tool which helped the audience 'see' the transition.
    One thing which I would change if you were to present again would be either to explain more fully the hanging person you mentioned and even gave a whole slide to. It seemed very out of the blue and random, as it was quickly dropped thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. I enjoyed this presentation, it was both entertaining and informative to the audience. One thing that you guys did best in this presentation was talk about the symbolism of technicolor being used in the movie and explaining how important this was in the film industry for it being one of the first movies to use this technology.
    2. The main flaw I saw in this presentation was that it felt like you guys were just talking about what you learned about this topic rather then conveying the information about this movie to establish some sort of conclusion of the entirety of The Wizard of Oz. Some of the information felt out of place like the makeup issue with the scarecrow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Before you guys presented i really was wondering why we were learning about wizard of oz. I never knew it was the first movie to incorporate color into it and move away from the trend of sepia. I think the best part of the presentation was presenting the clip showing the change itself.

    Some of the presentation didn't seem like it fit, such as the hanging man. i was kinda lost when you guys brought this up and what looked just like a shadow to me was apparently a man hanging to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1.) Overall, I really liked your guys' approach to the presentation! I'm one of those people that love trivia about movie details similar to the fact about the switch of the scarecrow and the tin man. I also really liked how you guys tied everything together for a big picture.
    2.) The only criticism I have is that you guys could have gone further into how this affected this industry to come.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed the presentation and how you explained the changing from black and white to color. I thought the conspiracy of the dwarf was very random, short, and unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You guys had a unique topic and I feel you both handled it very nicely. I learned some very interesting new things about a movie I had already seen at least five times and I'm sure others can relate.
    My only critique is that you guys could have focused on the huge symbolic meaning each of the characters had.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked how you guys really emphasized the importance of technicolor in that era. The fact that it went from sepia to color meant so much when it was first made and many don't recognize the significance back then. It made the viewers feel joy when things weren't the best. My recommendation would be to explain more on the impact the characters had on the audiences.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.