Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Story That Meant the Most - Devon Beck

" On the Rainy River" was the story that I felt like meant the most to me. I felt as though I could relate to him. I may not be going to war like he was but I've had decisions that I needed to make that I that I wanted to run away from. I've had decisions that I made only to impress the people around me not because I wanted to make them on my own.   Tim O' Brien was planning on leaving the country so he didn't have to go to war but he eventually would go to war. I also like this chapter because it shows how much of an impact people can have on your life. Elroy knew exactly what Tim was planning on doing but he didn't pressure him or make him feel bad about what he was doing. When they were on the boat he kept fishing as Tim was crying. He was a silent friend. He didn't say much but that is not what Tim needed. Tim just needed someone to be there for him.

As I just said Tim' O Brien is a character that  I relate a lot too. As you read the story you see how much he's been through. He is strong even when he could just give up. He could of went to Canada just like the other soldiers were doing but he went to war. He's so selfless. He was willing to put his family and his country before himself. He's brave if when he feels like giving up, I've had to be brave when all I wanted to do was give up.

I love the way that Tim' O Brien uses interior monologue in his book. When he is describing how he is feeling about the idea of leaving the United States in " On The Rainy River' his thoughts make you almost think that you are with him. He makes you really understand the struggles that he is going through.

My favorite part of the book is on page 18. " Now and then , however ,there were times of panic , when they squealed or wanted to squeal but couldn't when they twitched and made moaning sounds and cowered their heads and said Dear Jesus , and flopped around on the earth and fired their weapons blindly and cringed and sobbed and begged for the noise to stop and went wild and made stupid promises to themselves and to God, and to their mothers and fathers, hoping not to die. " was a passage that struck me. This line gave me a huge glimpse into the mind of a soldier. The reader gets to see how much these men are scared even when they try to put on the bravest faces. This passage helps the reader understand the mental horror that these men went through during battle.

2 comments:

  1. The scene on page 18 really gave you a image of what was going on. I liked how descriptive it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate to O'Brien very well, too. I may not be brave in most situations like I should be but I definitely knows what it feels like to run away from things that I don't want to face. I wonder if Tim was a brave person before this. I feel like it would be hard for him to be in this situation if he wasn't before the war.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.