Hello, I'm Cole Haferman, I am eighteen years old and a freshman here at Ohio State Marion, I graduated from Delaware Hayes High School last may and have been enjoying college ever since. So far I have joined the OSU Ski Club to get involved and it has been the single greatest decision of my life, other than choosing to attend Ohio State in the first place. As this is only my third year snowboarding I am relatively new to the sport but have enjoyed everyday spent on the mountain. Last winter at the beginning of the season in December I broke part of the lower right side of my back and was forced to sit out over the next six weeks. However I did make a full recovery in time to take a trip to New York with my family to Holiday Valley in Ellicottville.
One main idea that I took away from the reading in chapter one was that writing in the context of the public sphere is very different that most writing from say work or school activities. It tends to be less writing in fact in many cases contains images and pictures to accompany the words and to first catch the eye of the reader. For example, graffiti, or other forms of street art can be made up entirely of images or few words drawn in a certain way that uniquely expressed the author's thoughts or inspirations for that piece. The thing about literacy events is that in a sense anything, any piece of writing, dependant on the context can be considered a literacy event based on the effect it has on the individual, and how it is interpreted.
That's awesome that you had the guts to try a rail after only snowboarding for a few years. I've been doing it since middle school and barely branch out from jumps and box rails. I guess the reason for that is so that I don't end up with a broken back. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you got to make the trip to Holiday Valley. I was there for a snowboarding trip two years ago and it's incredible! Especially compared to the ski resorts around here.
ReplyDelete