Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Exploration 4: Fresh

To me some of the most important ideas in Fresh was the way the industry wants these farmers to raise their animals just to get the food out there faster. They don't care about the care of the animals or even the quality of the meat, they just care about the quantity. To prove this there was the guy who raised pigs and he was putting antibiotics in the feed so the pigs would grow bigger faster. Well he got injured by one of the pigs and came to find out that the pig had a disease that he had gotten by getting injured by this pig. He almost lost his life due to it. So that was when he decided to exterminate all the pigs in that herd and start out with a new one and not put antibiotics in these pig's feed. If I were to review this film I would focus on the pros and cons of organic feed vs non organic feed and what it does to the animals. The one guy sais that worms in soil is better for the plants than Miracle Grow and other farmers in the film talked about how they switched to organic feeding. You never see the other side of the story so if I were to do a review on this I would focus on the other side. I also think that's a weakness to this film. They don't have anything from the other side so you don't know the other side of the story. I think they should of added some stuff from the industrialization side so you could compare and contrast and see which is the better side, By them just telling the organic side and having all the evidence they do it automatically convinces you that the organic feed and organic food is the way to go. However I think the film did a wonderful job describing their side. They gave the pros and cons to organic feeding and they even talked about how much it costs the farmer and talked about how much it costs the customer in the stores. The thing I most relate to from the film is the cost of the organic food. Healthy food is very expensive and it is cheaper to go to fast food resturauts and just get food from there. Being a college student I'm on a very tight budget and it's cheaper for me to go to McDonalds and get a cheeseburger for a dollar compared to going to Walmart and getting a salad for like 4. It's sad the food industry has to be that way.

My question is how harmful is it to the animals and to us when there is drugs put in the animals  feed? So I found that it's a lot more dangerous than people would imagine. It causes the animal to get sick and if the animal shows no sign of being sick before it is slaughtered then the disease that animal had is transferred into the meat we eat which then causes the disease in us and can then cause hospitalization. There is also the assumption that putting antibiotics in the feed of animals is causing obesity in the human population. The antibiotics are put in the feed to increase fat so the animals can grow faster but it seems to be having the same effect on humans.

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=iry&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003&type=md1202&param1=1&param2=cd%3D2XzuyEtN2Y1L1QzuyBzz0EtA0ByDyBtByDyCyCyEtBtDyCyCtN0D0Tzu0CyBtBtDtN1L2XzutBtFtBtFtCyEtFtCtAyBzytN1L1CzutCyD1B1P1R%26cr%3D16936448%26a%3Dmd1202%26f%3D4%26cat%3Dweb%26sid%3Dc3fe08c7a5342f2970bf4774f767f648%26sesid%3D1f0a9152cc2f13c11f9a968bf358d5ad%26ip%3D98.143.57.50%26b%3DIE%26bv%3D11.0%26os%3DWindows%2B7%26pa%3Dmysearchdial&p=drugs+in+animals+feed

http://www.udel.edu/chem/C465/senior/fall97/feed/present.html

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that fast food fits better into a tight budget, and I think that's what the food industry is banking (literately) on. If you look at McDonalds history their big thing was to add sugar and an assembly line for profit. I also have budgets constraints and understand completely, One thing I like to do is to grow herbs in my kitchen to help "freshen" up some of my meals. My herbs came from seeds and are not to hard to grow nor expensive. Maybe it might help you as well, though I've never tried to "freshen" up a "Micky D"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you when you say they should have shown more from the other side of the story. I definitely think that the few clips they showed of the industrial farms were very dramatic and they proved their point, however there needed to be more.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.